Thursday, November 13, 2008

To Write Love on Her Arms

To Write Love on Her Arms
November 2008

Today is the 2nd Annual To Write Love on Her Arms Day. For those of you not familiar with TWLOHA, it is a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people (specifically young adults) struggling with addiction, depression, self-injury, and suicide. the money they raise goes directly to rehabs and help centers.

I've been thinking a lot about this organization the past week. It's not an explicitly Christian movement (although they do mention God's active redemption etc. in their vision statement), but it has a lot of really solid goals. I've begun to feel convicted of how little I'm involved in the world. I choose to minister in my little bubble where I feel comfortable. I think my struggle is also a greater reflection of the body of Christ as a whole. What is the church doing to reach out to these young adults who are so lost? Who knows, there could be tons of church sponsored ministries that I don't know about--and that's where I've failed. Or there might only be a handful across the country.

TWLOHA has only been around for a few years, but they have already grown so much and brought so much support and awareness for these people that are suffering. Shouldn't the church be making such an impact? And we even have the love of Jesus to share! I'm hoping to get involved with ministries at Geneva that reach out to teens in the community (Young Life maybe?) and I challenge you to join me in this challenge of breaking outside the covenant community to bring the love of Jesus to those who need it the most.